The Importance of Goal Setting
Don’t wait for the ship to come in…Swim out to it!
In personal improvement, ships are goals – specific, measurabl;e, and obtainable goals.
I’ve found that goals can become the strongest force for self motivation – they are your track to run your course. Yet less than five percent of all people set specific goals, and fewer than five percent will write their goals down on paper.
If goals are so important, why don’t more people set them?
I think there are four main reasons why people fail to set goals.
- People fail to set goals because they don’t know the importance of goal setting. Every great accomplishment I know about has begun with a goal written down on a sheet of paper. Achieving the goal is automatic. Setting the goal is the issue.
- Most people don’t know how to set goals. Every Sunday I write down what actions I am going to take that upcoming week. I do it because writing clarifies the goal and it becomes a commitment.
- Sometimes people don’t set goals because they are afraid of failure. If you have no goals, you are not risking failure. I think we should do the opposite- fail faster and more often. Failure is a prelude to success. To become more successful, we have to fail more often…but don’t take this to an extreme. I’m talking about goals that will help us become more successful even if we fail to accomplish the goal.
- Goals require people to leave their comfort zone. That can be scary for many people because it often involves having to learn new skills.
Nothing would please me more than to watch you become a fantastic goal setter and goal achiever. You can become a leader who has balance in your life. You can become a great role model for others to follow. But over the years, I’ve learned that most people don’t want to follow someone who loses their health or their family because they work all the time. People want to follow people who are balanced in all areas, not just work.
My final thought for you is this: Stay positive! Of course you will become discouraged again somewhere along the way. Just don’t give up!
- Journalling Your Thoughts Can Help Clarify Your Goal Setting Process (realgoalgetter.com)
- The Art of Effective Goal Setting (brighthub.com)
- Goal Setting Worksheet for Personal & Professional Development (brighthub.com)
- Why Is Goal Setting Important? A Foundation for Success (brighthub.com)
- Expectancy vs. Goal-Setting Theory: Which Works Better? (brighthub.com)
- Money 101: Visualizing Your Financial Future (thefrisky.com)
- Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals! (fingercandymedia.com)
- Positive Psychology News Daily ” Resolving New Year’s Resolutions (positivepsychologynews.com)
- Importance of Time Management – How to Set Goals (socyberty.com)
- Learning based goal setting [Tom Evans] (ecademy.com)
About Matt Sileno: Matt Sileno, the President/Founder of The Intuitive Group, Inc. is no stranger to hard work and overcoming adversity. He has taken his small Sales and Marketing Firm to new heights working directly with Fortune 100 companies across the U.S. Follow Matt Sileno on Twitter and Facebook!
About The Intuitive Group, Inc.
The Intuitive Group, Inc. is headed by CEO & Founder Matt Sileno and headquartered in Vienna, Virginia. The company specializes in direct marketing by bringing products and services directly to consumers. The company works with team members from day one to train them for the job and for the rest of their lives. The skills gained help team members excel in the company and in life. The Intuitive Group, Inc. is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), adhering to BBB Code of Business Practices dedicated to sound advertising, selling and customer service practices that enhance customer trust and confidence in business. For more information about The Intuitive Group, Inc. please visit http://www.theintuitivegroup-dc.com/.